And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror, #6.5) - Karina Halle The making of Dex 2.0You know when Perry left Seattle in a hurry never wanting to look back? Remember when she fell apart and tried to put herself together, cutting all things Dex out of her life, and if that wasn't enough having to deal with demon and ghost possessions? Did you wonder where Dex was, what was he doing and why didn't he come back running to see her? Well in this short novella we get his side of the story, told from his POV. And yes, he did hurt and lost himself for a while. He spiralled into a depression and drinking stupor, trying to bury his regret, anger, his loss. He hit rock bottom. On top of everything else, after listening to Pippa's message he learns about Perry switching his meds. “I fucked up. More than I have ever fucked up before. I had the love of my life in my hands for one beautiful, exquisite moment before I ripped her apart and my heart bore the paper cuts.” ****“I wasn’t Dex Foray. I was just this emotion that was crumbling to the floor, holding onto the doorway like it was the last thread of my humanity.” Thank god for his friends, Rebeca, Em, Dean and Seb. But it's his strong love for Perry that it's a great incentive for him to get himself back on track. Not only he chooses a healthy route, healthy eating, no smoking, no meds and training, he chooses to better himself for her. It's good to see that the old Dex who would rather lie or avoid the answers can now not only admit to himself but also to his friends the real feelings for Perry. “I love her, more than anyone should love anything. The kind of love that either fills you up or eats away at you. I love her at my own risk. I love her…dangerously.”****“Christ, I was in over my head and my head was over my heels. I was just a fucking tumbleweed in love with a constant breeze at my back." We know what happens after he gets himself sorted, he's asked to go and help Perry, by Little Fifteen. He has to deal with a lot, seeing Perry in agony holding desperately to her life, hearing her sister telling what she had to go through all these months and learning about the terrible loss, that is too much for our poor Dex. “There was pain and then there was agony. Hello, agony. I’d been waiting for you. Finish me off.” After he asks for her forgiveness and manages to save her life again, Dex doesn't want to leave her side ever again. That's why he sleeps on the floor next to her bed holding her hand, not wanting to let her go. “You’re my light in all this madness, Perry,” I whispered, knowing she couldn’t hear me. “It all fades away when I’m with you. Everything fades until it’s just you and it’s just me. I’m Dex and you’re Perry and I love you. I won’t stop loving you, even when you won’t love me. I love you more than I can ever really tell you. I love you until the end.” And then we get what I wanted to know for the last two books and I cried, really cried, for what they lost and for what could have been. "I smiled though she couldn’t see it and placed my lips on her stomach. “I would have loved the baby too, more than you’ll ever know.” Have got a massive Team Derry withdrawal already and June 2013 it's going to be a very long wait...